Nov 6, 2010

Pursuit of speed - quick dry nail polish (Part 1)

Dear colleagues, today we will discuss such a basic physics, namely the definition of speed. As my recent research showed, different people mean completely different thing when they call something "quick". My attention to this subject was captivated by nail polishes marked with "quick dry", "60 seconds dry" etc.
I agree, that 60 sec for a coat of nail polish to dry is actually a great speed and it is exactly what I wish for me.
Recently, I got several nail polishes belonging to "quick dry" category and was curious to test them.
So let's start talking research!

Introduction
The aim of this research was to test the quality of drying of several "quick" nail polishes in extreme conditions. This means that for the drying I could allow only the time defined by manufacturer and then either the second coat was applied or I started to perform some activities with nails (making pictures of my nails).

Materials and Methods
The subject of today's test is 60 Seconds Nail Polish from Rimmel in colour 210 Ethereal.
For the test I applied first a base polish (Look by Bipa, Hard Nails) and let it dry very well (over 5 min).
Secondly I applied a coat of the test polish and waited 60 seconds (simplicity is great for experiments!)
Then I performed the visual evaluation of the coat and concluded, that one coat is not enough - so the second coat was applied. I decided to wait 120 seconds after second layer because 2 coats should take at least double time to dry.
Afterwards I started to collect the data i.e. making pictures! 


Results
I have to say that observed colour of the polish was simply beautiful - great, touching pearl baby-pink. I made several images to capture this effect under different light intensities - day light, direct sun light and flash image. 
Below you can share my observations:
From left to right: soft day light, direct sun light, flash
I have to make a solid statement, that just one coat of this polish is not enough to provide a good coverage. After 2 coats, the coverage was sufficient, as demonstrated by next picture.
However, imaging procedure was actually almost the only thing which could be tolerated by this polish. Saying, that it can dry in 60 sec - it is really UNDERSTATEMENT! I have to point out that you need let at least as much time as for normal nail polishes.
I suppose, that it can be explained by texture of this Rimmel polish - it is not quite liquid in my opinion - so the layers applied are relatively thick and also it explains why you do not have much time to make some corrections with a brush. In detail - you try to make a thin coat, but is is still quite thick and the upper part of the layer dries fast, but the lower layers are still not dry at all.
As a result, after making some things (ordering things on the table and similar stuff - no dish washing or other "hard core" activities) I observed problems with nail coat, mainly imperfect surface and other disturbances.

Conclusion
Despite my positive emotions towards the colour, the results of the experiments were negative. The polish can not be classified as "quick dry". Preventing the possible questions of the reviewers I say, that polish was not old (bought 2 weeks ago). I assign as much as 6 out of 10 points and express my disappointment.

Would I buy again? - Most probably NO, only if some very attractive colours will appear (I have some attraction towards Blue My Mind 810 and Green with envy 819 shades.


Thank you for your attention and we will continue the experiments on this subject.

4 comments:

  1. Dankeschön :-)

    Ich habe die Ben Nye Pigmente bei MakeUpGeek http://www.makeupgeek.com/store/ bestellt, da braucht man allerdings eine Kreditkarte.

    Der Nagellack ist schön :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ich nehme das Serum alleine, ohne zusätzliche Nachtcreme. Ich finde das ausreíchend, da es schon sehr feuchtigkeitsspendend ist.

    LG Britta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danke euch, ja Lack is schön und nicht teuer, aber das trocknet langsam! ich habe noch Astor, Maybelline und Look by Bipa "quick polishes", werde nächste Woche berichten :-)

    ReplyDelete