Nov 4, 2010

Evaluation of MUFE HD powder: swatch test and use

Dear colleagues, the aim of the first paper presented there would be Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder. I bought at last congress I've visited in Spain (I really attended some talks and went for make-up shopping only at lunch breaks!)

So let's start talking research!

Background and Purpose
Previous experience in using face powders showed that combination of powder and foundation + concealer equals cakey and somehow overdone look. Therefore it was stated that face powders would be used by me only on "good skin days"without the foundation underneath. This approach of wearing foundation without setting it with a powder was proven as not sufficient for mixed skin type (which I have). In the afternoons I could clearly see the shiny parts on the nose, forehead and sometimes even on the cheeks.
Recently I found out about invisible transparent powders which are designed for setting the make-up without adding any color. So I got one!
The aim of this paper is to perform visual testing on MUFE HD Powder and evaluate the product in terms of use and effect.

Materials and Methods
1.Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder
As claimed by official web-page "The HD Powder is a unique, extremely fine powder available in one universal shade to make the skin absolutely radiant. It sets the foundation and matifies the skin without changing its natural contours.Consisting of mineral silica powder, its talc-free formula is non-drying. Its universal translucent shade matches all skin tones. The HD Powder can be worn alone or applied over foundation. "
The powder consists of microparticles of silica powder (basically silicone dioxide) and can be considered as 100% mineral make-up.
2. My left hand (forearm)
3. Foundation (Clinique Perfectly Real 02)
4. Camera for proof pics (Nikon D40)

The research was designed in following way:
- present a pictures of  four areas on the arm with MUFE powder applied on the bare skin and over the foundation.
- estimate the effect after using the product above the foundation every day during the last week.
MUFE Powder after investigation (the amount needed is so small so I will use it for ages!)
Results


On the photo done in suboptimal conditions (bathroom light, no flash) only slight differences could be seen (more matte skin in part 2 compared to 1, and less shimmer in the part 4).

Pictures performed with flash or flash and micro mode shows the differences much more dramatically, however they do not represent the reality.

In summary, HD Microfinish powder really sets the foundation, but makes it a little bit (VERY, VERY SLIGHTLY) lighter. It is also possible to use it on the skin without foundation but this application I will consider only if I get ideal smooth and acne-free skin.

Flash mode ON
It is necessary to comment, that I did not blend the powder very well on purpose, in order to distinguish areas more clearly.
Flash + Micro
After wearing the HD powder during the last week, I can state that it keeps the skin matte and sets the make-up very good (at least better experience compared with conventional powders which I used before).

Discussion
The MUFE announces that the use of the HD Microfinish Powder helps in creating "soft focus" effect. I had to perform some additional literature investigation (Wiki) in order to find out what does it mean. So, basically, soft focus effect describes additional blurring of the image and retaining of the sharp edges. It makes the appearance of the skin more even and smooth simultaneously making small wrinkles and blemishes less visible.
In professional fashion photography it is done with special lenses or image post-processing. The subject of future investigation definitely would be making some face images with and without powder to see if the effect is there (I have resonable doubts...)

Conclusion
The HD Microfinish powder is a very high quality product which I would recommend for every day use.
It is a bit expensive, but quite economic in use. After the tests I would give the product 8,5 out of 10.

Would I buy it again? - Yes, but most probably in 2 years from now because I have the full jar!

THANK YOU very much for your attention and we meet in the future issues!

4 comments:

  1. Danke für Deinen netten Kommentar bei mir!

    Schöner Blog!

    VLG Britta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh gratuliere! Du bist meine erste Follower-in!
    I'm just starting slowly, still have to learn to do a good pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think, that your pictures ARE good! It's often the light outside during this season, that leads to blurred pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it hard to get nice light at this time of the year, but I think I found a spot in my "Vorzimmer" :)

    ReplyDelete